Top on the mind of spiritual seekers is enlightenment. They seek it to achieve a higher level of spiritual consciousness where one has updated information on spiritual matters. Those who seek enlightenment do it for various reasons: to know self better, attract good things into one’s life or understand hidden things.
Enlightenment is “the state of understanding something” (Cambridge Dictionary)
Many pursue enlightenment in a quest to understand things that are not working in their lives and find solutions. People seek it as a spiritual means to understanding physical situations in one’s life. If one does not get answers from the natural realm, the spiritual realm becomes the go-to place to gain insight. Since enlightenment comes from the spiritual realm, it is information received from a spirit. Which spirit is giving you enlightenment? Is it the Spirit of God or another spirit?
What is the source of your enlightenment? Knowing the source will reveal whether you get the truth or a lie.
The bigger question is: Did God ask us to seek enlightenment or Him? A good number of people are seeking enlightenment and getting deceived because they get it outside of God.
God is Light and when you seek Him you walk in light. Jesus said if we follow Him we will never walk in darkness. We need not seek enlightenment because in Christ we are light and can access information in the spiritual realm.
Why Does God Enlighten Us?
- To walk in the light. God shines His light on our steps so we will know where to step and keep off the wrong path. He directs us to the right path for not each one leads to life. Some are dead ends and others lead to destruction. He shines His light on our ways to align them with “The Way” who is Jesus Christ.
- To show others the light. God has called us to be the light of the world. When God enlightens us, we enlighten others by the light in us. When we share the good news of the gospel of Jesus Christ with others, we enlighten them. In Christ, God removes the veil of darkness that the devil uses to cover the minds of unbelievers so the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ does not shine on them.
- To give us understanding about situations. To resolve some issues in life, you need spiritual insight. Not all issues you face have natural causes. Seeking hidden knowledge has lead many to search for enlightenment in the wrong places: diviners, psychics, astrologers, false prophets, etc. who don’t enlighten by the Spirit of God but a spirit of divination. God enlightens us when we need to know things. With His Spirit in us, we get to know the truth in every situation.
How Does God Enlighten Us?
- He exposes what is hidden in darkness. God reveals what others or the devil have hidden in darkness for you to stumble upon as you walk. It is God who reveals the motives of men’s hearts and the wicked schemes some people plan against you. He shows you when the devil wants to devour you so you can close any door you have opened to him.
- He shows us things we do not know. “Call to me, and I will answer you, and show you great and mighty things, which you do not know.” This is God’s invitation to show us what we are not aware of. These are things you will not find in any search engine or with anyone else. Daniel was the only man who could tell Nebuchadnezzar what his dream was and its interpretation. The wisemen, astrologers, magicians and soothsayers couldn’t tell him. Daniel gave us a clue why this is so: “But there is a God in heaven who reveals secrets…” Seek God for your answers.
- He opens our spiritual eyes. Sometimes we don’t know things because we are spiritually blind. The things we seek are in plain sight but we don’t see them. They have been there all along. God opened Hagar’s (Abraham’s bondservant) eyes to see a well of water nearby when her son was dying in the wilderness. Before then, she was crying because her son was dying of thirst and hunger. In the same way, He opens our eyes to see what has been in front of us the whole time.
If Jesus is not the source of your light, you are tapping into the wrong source. The wrong source of enlightenment comes with deception and falsehood. It may appear like light but it is darkness.
Seek God who is Light and you never have to worry about pursuing enlightenment. With His Spirit living in you, you will know what you need to know.
The lamp of the body is the eye. If therefore your eye is good, your whole body will be full of light. But if your eye is bad, your whole body will be full of darkness. If therefore the light that is in you is darkness, how great is that darkness!
John 8:12, 1 Corinthians 4:5, 2 Corinthians 4:3-4, Genesis 21:19, Jeremiah 33:3, Daniel 2:27-28
Josephine Ngatia is a Digital Content Writer & Strategist. She works with Christian ministers and business owners to plan, develop, and manage digital content for them. She develops digital content for their websites, blogs, and other channels. Josephine mostly works with new authors, business startups, and small businesses.